23 Aug Veggie Italian Sandwich
Almost all sandwiches are high in sodium because of the bread that is used. This version has about 600 mg, so I would not add chips or a pickle on the side.
If you are trying to cut back on the meat in your diet, this is a good place to start. Learn to make sandwiches without meat as the centerpiece.
This recipe bursts flavor due to the goat cheese, red pepper and oregano. It has all the highlights of a good sandwich – a little crunchy, a little creamy, a little sweet, a little salty, a little fresh.
Veggie Italian Sandwich
- 2 slices whole grain or crusty bread FYI ciabatta 600 mg sodium in one
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons spreadable goat cheese
- ½ roasted red pepper
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced long ways
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ cup microgreens
- Warm Bread and slice lengthwise
- Pour a little extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar on each side of the bread and let soak in
- Sprinkle oregano over the bread
- Spread goat cheese on one side
- Lay red pepper on top of goat cheese
- Top with slices of cucumber and a few microgreens
- Good source fiber and High in Sodium