23 Jan Sweet Potato Bread With Chocolate Chips
This isn’t one of my healthiest recipes, but it is one of my favorites. Usually, we kick off the year with plans and promises to eat healthier and exercise more. And, those are all worthy pursuits. This year, though, it feels like we need something different.
So, in honor of a new year, we are kicking off the year with a sweet recipe. In the Jewish New Year, we eat apples and honey to signify our hopes for a sweet new year. For 2021, I am doing the same thing. I hope all of you have a sweet(er) year and that this recipe becomes one of your go-to family treats.
Thanks to Chocolate Covered Katie for the inspiration.
This recipe is made with all-purpose flour and real sugar, making it not-diabetic friendly.
To make it more diabetic friendly, you can use stevia or monk fruit instead of real sugar. You can also make it with whole wheat or spelt four. This will increase the fiber in the recipe and hopefully lower the impact a little bit on your blood sugars.
Enjoy and #ChangeYourBu
Sweet Potato Bread With Chocolate Chips
- 2 medium sized sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup oat milk
- ¼ cup oil canola or coconut depending on your flavor profile
- 1 banana mashed
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or spelt flour for a whole grain version
- 1 teaspoon Baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Prepare sweet potatoes. Poke holes in sweet potatoes with a fork. Line the bottom of an oven with aluminum foil, being careful not to cover any vents. Place the sweet potatoes directly on the oven rack and set the temperature to 425ºF, without preheating. Cook for 45 minutes and then turn the oven off, leaving the sweet potatoes in the hot oven for 30 minutes. Set aside and let cool. Remove the potato flesh from the skin and puree in a blender.
- Prepare the flax egg. Whisk together the 3 tablespoons of water with 1 tablespoon of flax seeds. Set aside and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF and grease a 5x9 bread loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oat milk, flax egg, oil, mashed banana, sweet potato puree, vanilla, and cider vinegar.
- In a separate large bowl, mix the dry ingredients including the flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients to the mixture, stirring to combine. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Add batter to the pan and bake for 45 minutes or until done.