27 Apr Summer Squash Soup with Leeks
2 large leeks, washed and sliced
2 tablespoons of Earth Balance or butter
Freshly ground pepper
¼ cup white wine
4 cups chopped yellow squash
1 quart of low sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat Earth Balance in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add leeks, sprinkle with pepper, and sauté over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft.
3. Add white wine, raise heat to high, and cook until the wine is almost all evaporated.
4. Before the leeks start to burn, add the vegetable broth, yellow squash, and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil.
5. Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes until the squash are soft but not dissolving.
6. Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. (Be careful to not burn yourself with the hot mixture!)
7. Return to the pot and taste and season as needed.
8. Serve hot topped with a sprinkle of parsley and a dash of the extra virgin olive oil.