02 Nov Spicy Baked Chicken Taquitos
These can also be made using flour tortillas. If you find flour tortillas that are low sodium, they are much easier to work with when adding the chicken to them and rolling them up. La Banderita, Low Sodium Flour Tortillas – are a good option though they are high in potassium. If you use the flour tortillas, you do not have to warm them prior to adding the chicken.
Spicy Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2 green onions divided
- 4 sprigs cilantro bottom portion of stems removed
- 1 clove garlic
- ¼ cup low sodium hot sauce
- ½ cup low fat cottage cheese
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup shredded low fat mozzarella
- 1 ½ cups cooked shredded chicken breast
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 12 six-inch corn tortillas
- Paprika for serving
- Limes wedges for serving, optional
- Salsa for serving, optional
- Guacamole for serving, optional
- Sour cream for serving, optional
- Rough chop one green onion. Place in the bowl of a food processor and combine with cilantro, garlic and hot sauce, pulse until finely chopped, using a rubber spatula to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the cottage cheese, cumin, chili powder and black pepper, and process until smooth. Add the mozzarella and chicken and pulse a few times until just combined. Do not overmix, you should still see shreds of chicken.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and place a wire rack on top. Oil the wire rack with cooking spray. Working with four tortillas at a time, gently warm the tortillas on a griddle or large saute pan over medium low heat just until pliable, flipping once. Alternatively, wrap the tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave until warm and pliable, about 15-20 seconds.
- Place 2 heaping tablespoons of spicy chicken filling across the lower edge of the tortilla. Roll the tortilla up tightly and place seam side down on the oiled wire rack. If they start to unroll, secure with a toothpick. Cover with a damp paper towel. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients. Lightly spray the tops of the taquitos. Bake until taquitos are golden and crispy, about 15 minutes.
- Thinly slice the remaining green onion. Place taquitos on a serving platter and sprinkle with green onions and paprika. Serve with lime wedges, salsa, guacamole and sour cream, if desired.