28 Dec Smoked Turkey Tenderloin
This is a great “Thanksgiving-light” dish. The turkey is smoked easily in the oven with a dry smoked rub, giving you the smoked flavor without ever using the smoker. The gravy pairs well on the side. Serve with cranberry sauce and mashed cauliflower or potatoes to give the feeling of a Thanksgiving feast anytime of the year.
To lower the sodium, cut the salt in half or leave it out altogether.
Smoked Turkey Tenderloin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon for lower sodium
- 1/4 teapsoon ground pepper
- 2 turkey breast around 2 pounds
- Green beans casserole to serve
- Mix all the spices, fresh herbs, sugar, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Dry the turkey pieces with kitchen paper. Coat the pieces with spices and toss so the turkey breats are completely covered. Cover and place in the fridge for 3 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- Heat a skillet over high heat and add one tablespoon of olive oil. Brown the turkey pieces approximately 2 minutes on each side. Transfer the pieces to a baking dish and bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Slice the pieces before serving.
Healthy Turkey Gravy
Makes 6 servings
1 cup low sodium chicken (or turkey) broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon mustard
1 shallot, chopped
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/4 teaspoon sea salt (1/8 teaspoon for low sodium)
Place a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and let it melt.
Add the shallot and sauté until is starts to brown in the butter.
Add the mustard and then whisk in the cornstarch. While continuing to whisk, gradually add the broth. The preparation should thicken nicely.
Add pepper and salt to serve.
Analysis pr serving
Calories (kcal) 28
Protein (g) 0
Carbohydrates (g) 2
Total Dietary Fiber (g) 0
Total Sugars (g) 0
Added Sugar (g) 0
Fat (g) 2
Saturated Fat (g) 1
Cholesterol (mg) 5
Calcium (mg) 7
Magnesium (mg) 2
Phosphorus (mg) 4
Potassium (mg) 16
Sodium (mg) 228
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.