19 Oct Roasted Tomato Soup with Artichoke And Spinach Grilled Cheese
This recipe is for 2 people!
It also is a high potassium dish because, well, it’s tomato soup. There’s not a lot of way around it. One way to possibly lower the potassium is by changing the serving size to 8 ounces. Another possibility is to use only 1 lbs of tomatoes and add 1/2 cup or so of vegetable broth to the soup instead.
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1.5 pounds tomatoes about 5 medium sized tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into large pieces
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup fresh basil
- 2 cups raw spinach chopped
- ¾ cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Salt and pepper
- 7 small artichoke heart chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 slices sourdough bread or lower sodium whole grain bread
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Slice about ½ inch off of the top of the bulb of garlic - just enough to expose the cloves.
- Place the tomatoes, bell pepper, and onion in a baking dish. Drizzle 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil over the vegetables, along with a small pinch of salt. Mix together with your hands.
- Pour the rest (1/2 tablespoon) of olive oil on top of the head of garlic and enclose it in aluminum foil.
- Place on the plate with the vegetables. Bake in a preheated oven at 350ºF for 45 minutes.
- Once cooked, place the tomatoes, peppers and onions in a blender. Squeeze the bulb of garlic to remove the cloves and add the cloves to the blender along with 1/2 cup of water and the fresh basil. Blend well. (If the mixture does not become completely blended together, don’t worry because it will all be pressed through a sieve).
- Take a saucepan and place a sieve or mesh strainer over the top. Pour the tomato soup into the strainer and crush the mixture with a spatula to let as much of the soup as possible pass through. Heat the soup over low heat.
- Now, prepare the grilled cheese.
- Heat a medium sized non-stick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the spinach and cook for 3-5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Place the cooked spinach, ricotta, shredded mozzarella, artichoke hearts, and in a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Cut 4 slices of bread and brush one side with olive oil. Turnover and add a little of the spinach-artichoke mix. Close, making sure the olive oil sides are on the outside.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and place the grilled cheese. Cook for 3-5 minutes on each side until the bread is crispy and the inside is warm and melted.
- Pour the tomato soup into two bowls and top with a drizzle of olive and some fresh basil. Serve the grilled cheese on the side.