28 Jun Roasted Beet + Tomato Salad
Posted at 15:14h
in Small Plates/Salads
Roasted beets, cucumbers, avocados, heirloom tomatoes, goat cheese and lime vinaigrette make for an “artsy”, flavorful, healthy salad! Bring it with you on the go or enjoy outside with some warm, crusty bread. However you choose to try it, we know you’re going to love it!
And be sure to check out my “Bottom Line on Beets” video. I share my thoughts on beets, the importance of adding them to your regular diet, dispel some myths on beets and what I think about superfoods.
1 large or 2 small beets, rinsed clean
2 mini cucumbers (or 1 larger cucumber), prepared with alternating peel stripes (cubed)
2 avocados, cubed at the last minute
4 large, firm tomatoes (Heirloom varieties make for a great presentation)
1 lime (juiced)
1 clove of garlic (minced)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Fresh thyme (or other handy herb)
1 teaspoon goat cheese (or feta)
1. Preheat oven to 375º.
2. Form a foil pouch and place beets inside with a teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Roast beets between 40 minutes – 1 hour 20 minutes (depending on size of the beet); until beets are tender, but not squishy. Check every 20 minutes after the beets have cooked 40 minutes.
4. Remove beets from the oven and wipe away the peel using a wet paper towel. BEETS STAIN! Be careful!
5. Cut the roasted and cooled beets into small cubes
6. Slice the top of the tomato off near the stem so it is flat. Hollow out the tomato with a spoon and be careful not to poke a hole through the sides of the tomato.
7. Sprinkle hollowed tomato with salt.
8. Place cucumber, beets and avocado in the center of the tomato bowl.
9. Make dressing: whisk together EVOO, lime and garlic.
10. Dress the salad with the lime dressing.
11. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of goat cheese (or feta).
12. Add salt and pepper to taste.
13. Top with fresh thyme if available.
14. Serve with warm, fresh bread if available (yummy)!
Serving Size: 1 Stuffed Tomato
Calories (kcal) 202.78
Protein (g) 3.76
Carbohydrates (g) 12.58
Total Dietary Fiber (g) 5.28
Total Sugars (g) 6.32
Added Sugar (g) 0
Fat (g) 16.76
Saturated Fat (g) 2.82
Cholesterol (mg) 2.25
Calcium (mg) 50.95
Magnesium (mg) 31.61
Phosphorus (mg) 73.41
Potassium (mg) 665.53 High Potassium
Sodium (mg) 186.37