08 Apr Potato, Asparagus & Pea Frittata
I am always happy when I make a frittata for dinner. This one is especially delicious. The asparagus and peas remind me of spring, and pair perfectly with the chives and parsley. The freshness of these veggies and herbs complement the eggs and potatoes that round out the dish. The final dish is light and airy, and yet healthy and filling.
For a lower potassium version, use half the amount of potatoes or consider leaching the potassium from the potatoes prior to cooking them.
Potato, Asparagus & Pea Frittata
- 10 green asparagus
- 1 cup green peas fresh or frozen
- 8 large eggs
- 1/2 cup feta cheese crumbled
- 3 tablespoons chives chopped
- 3 tablespoons parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove mashed
- 1 medium onion sliced into rings
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and sliced thin
- Greens to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Trim off the ends of the asparagus. Place them in boiling water and cook for 10 minutes. If you are using frozen peas, add them to the boiling water at 5 minutes. Drain.
- Beat the 8 eggs in a large bowl with the crumbled feta, the chopped herbs, salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet with olive oil over medium heat, add garlic and onion. Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the potato slices to the pan and cover for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove the ingredients from the skillet and keep it handy.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil to the same skillet then start layering the frittata. Add some potatoes slices with onion and garlic (about a third of what you have), then add some greens peas. Cover with a third of the mixture of egg, feta, and herbs. Repeat two more times adding potatoes with onion and garlic, peas, and eggs. Finally, add the asparagus on top.
- Bake at 400ºF for 20-30 minutes or until the eggs are well cooked.
- Serve in wedges with a salad.