27 Apr Poached Pears with Granola
Poached Pears with Granola
- 4 Bosc pears
- Fresh lemon juice as needed
- 1/2 cup 6 oz./185 g honey
- 1/2 cup 4 oz./125 g granulated sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick broken in half
- 1/2 bourbon vanilla bean
- 2 strips lemon zest
- 6 cups 48 fl. oz./1.5 l water
- Greek yogurt for serving
- Hazelnut Pear Super ‘Nola Granola
- To make the poached pears, peel, halve and core the pears, then sprinkle with lemon juice to prevent them from browning.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the honey, sugar, cinnamon stick, vanilla bean seeds and pod, lemon zest and water, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat to medium-high and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the pears, submerging them in the liquid. Return to a simmer, cover and cook, turning the pears occasionally, until tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Let the pears cool, then transfer to a bowl with some of the poaching liquid; If not using immediately, store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- To serve, spoon the granola into bowls and top each portion with Greek yogurt and half a poached pear.
For a lower potassium modification, omit yogurt For a lower carbohydrate and more diabetic friendly version,, poach pears without any sugar or use sugar substitute instead Recommended Portion: 1 pear, 1/4c lower-fat plain Greek yogurt, 2T granola
Calories: 270.85kcalCarbohydrates: 62.48gProtein: 4.64gFat: 2.45gSaturated Fat: 0.93gCholesterol: 2.48mgSodium: 21.65mgPotassium: 287.03mgFiber: 6.15gSugar: 50.51gCalcium: 54.46mgMagnesium: 26.21mgPhosphorus: 77.17mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!