27 Apr Lemongrass Chicken Stir Fry Recipe
Eating out at an Asian restaurant often guarantees a high sodium and high fat meal. The surest way to turn an Asian meal until a healthy dinner is by cooking it at home. Using a few simple tricks, we turn some fresh vegetables and chicken into a delicious lemongrass stir-fry dish.
If you have never cooked with lemongrass, watch the video for some tips on how to do it the right way. #ChangeYourBuds and learn to make lower sodium Asian food at home.
This recipe is fresh, easy and fantastic.
* 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
* 2 teaspoons low sodium chicken stock
* Pinch of sugar
STIR FRY INGREDIENTS:
* 2 cups cubed chicken (we used one boneless, skinless chicken thigh and one chicken breast)
* 1 yellow pepper (thinly sliced)
* 1 cup of fresh broccolini, boiled for 30 seconds and then shocked in ice water
• 1 red or green jalapeño chile, stemmed and thinly sliced on the diagonal into rings
* 1 red onion, chopped
* 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
* 2 teaspoons freshly chopped lemongrass
* 2 tablespoons rice wine
* 1 tablespoon roasted chile paste
• 2 scallions, trimmed and cut into 1- inch pieces
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
* 1 tablespoon canola oil
Serves 3 or 4 as a part of a multi-course meal
1. In a small bowl, whisk together fish sauce, stock, and sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Set aside.
2. Heat a wok or saute pan over high heat until hot
3. Add the oil and heat until shimmering but not smoking (10-15 seconds)
4. Add the chicken and cook, turning occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly browned on both sides.
5. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil from the wok (leave the chicken in the wok) and return the pan to medium- high heat.
6. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 2 minutes, just until softened.
7. Add the garlic, lemongrass, and jalapeño chile and cook for 30 seconds longer.
8. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, stirring to dislodge any browned bits.
9. Add the fish sauce mixture, chile paste, and scallions to the pan and continue cooking for 1 minute more, until the scallions have softened slightly and the chicken is cooked through.
10. Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with the peanuts. Serve immediately over brown rice or by itself.
Recipe adapted from – Vietnamese Home Cooking by Charles Phan
Yield: 4 servings
Serving Size: 1 serving
Calories (kcal) 168.96
Protein (g) 21.07
Carbohydrates (g) 9.04
Total Dietary Fiber (g) 1.61
Total Sugars (g) 2.68
Added Sugar (g) 0.10
Fat (g) 5.13
Saturated Fat (g) 1.25
Cholesterol (mg) 55.70
Calcium (mg) 38.25
Magnesium (mg) 35.79
Phosphorus (mg) 183.23
Potassium (mg) 394.85
Sodium (mg) 260.74