03 Sep Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
This delicious and easy soup is high potassium and low sodium. The secret to the flavor is chipotle chilies in adobo. Just a bit spicy, these chilies create a depth of flavor that is often difficult to get without using meat as a base for the soup or adding lots of extra salt. Experiment with different toppings and serve alongside a green salad and a slice of freshly baked bread.
Both low sodium and high potassium diets can be integral parts of a diet that helps you manage high blood pressure and lowers your risk of stroke. If you are on a potassium limited diet (i.e. if you have stage 4 or 5 kidney disease or are on dialysis and/or have high blood potassium levels), skip the soup because black beans are one of the highest potassium foods around.
1 Lbs. of dried black beans, rinsed 547mg
5 Cups of low sodium vegetable broth 87mg
1 Onion, chopped 23mg
2 Chipotle chile peppers in adobo, chopped 20mg
1 Stalk of celery, chopped 15mg
Instant Pot Black Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk chopped
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 chipotle chile peppers in adobe chopped
- 1 teaspoon chile powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 5 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound dried black beans rinsed
- 1 Avocado chopped
- Shredded low fat cheddar or vegan cheese
- Low fat vegan or regular sour cream
- Chopped green onion
- Fresh cilantro leaves
- Place olive oil and onions in the Instant Pot, press the saute button, and set the heat to medium. Sauté 2-3 minutes and add celery. Saute for 5 minutes until onions and celery are soft, being careful not to brown them.
- Add garlic, chipotle chiles, chile powder, cumin to the pot and cook for another 2 minutes, allowing the spices to toast and the garlic to become fragrant.
- Add oregano, vegetable broth, water, bay leaf, and black beans to the pot. Stir well. Place the lid on top and seal the vent. Cook on high pressure for 45 minutes and then allow pressure to naturally release.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the beans to desired consistency. Serve with desired toppings.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.