10 Sep Hearty Instant Pot Chicken Soup
This last-minute, easy to make Instant Pot chicken soup is perfect for a cool fall evening. The lemon and ginger add a little healing power as well if you are fighting a cold or flu. Use homemade chicken broth for the best possible result.
For a lower potassium version, leave out the beans.
For a lower carbohydrate version, leave out the noodles.
For a lower protein version, use only 8 ounces of chicken breast.
Hearty Instant Pot Chicken Soup
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 stalks of celery chopped
- 4 carrots peeled and chopped on the bias
- 1 large garlic clove chopped
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 lemon halved and divided
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 6 Sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried thyme
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breast
- 1 15 15 - Ounce can of no sodium cannellini beans
- 3 cups uncooked egg noodles
- ¼ xup chopped parsley
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put olive oil, onion, and celery in a large Instant Pot and turn saute function to medium. Add a small pinch of kosher salt and saute for 5 minutes or until the onions are translucent. Add carrots and garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken broth, thyme, ginger, and chicken breasts to the pot. Take ½ of the lemon and cut into thin slices. Remove the seeds and add the lemon slices to the pot. Cover, seal, and cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Use the natural release for 10 minutes and then manually release and remove the lid.
- Remove chicken breasts and set aside on a cutting board. Remove the lemon slices and thyme sprigs and discard. Turn saute function on to high and add dried noodles and white beans. Cook for 6-7 minutes until noodles are cooked.
- Turn saute function on to high and add dried noodles and white beans. Cook for 6-7 minutes until noodles are cooked.
- Shred the chicken breast and return to the finished soup along with the juice from the remaining lemon half.
- Serve with a sprinkling of chopped parsley.