01 Oct From Scratch Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Whole Chicken
This week I’m sharing a fabulous chicken soup recipe. This one is perfect for a cold winter night’s dinner. I love this recipe because it creates a deep chicken broth flavor, highlighted by the umami of mushrooms. It’s low sodium and simple.
Keep a whole chicken in your freezer or fridge for a quick winter soup. Serve over farro or barley for a dinner your whole family will love.
From Scratch Instant Pot Chicken Soup with Whole Chicken
- ½ onion chopped
- 4 carrots sliced on a bias
- 3 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 8-ounce package of baby bella mushrooms or white mushrooms - optional
- 1 whole chicken 3 pounds
- 8 cups cold water
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon black peppercorns or ½ teaspoon of ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- Put a steam rack in the Instant Pot. Place the chicken in breast side up and then place the remainder of the ingredients in the Instant Pot. Set to pressure cook and cook for 45 minutes. Allow to naturally release pressure. This will take 15-20 minutes.
- Open Instant Pot and check the temperature of the chicken. The inside of the chicken should be at least 165º degrees. If it is not, carefully remove the chicken and then remove the legs and thighs. Replace the chicken in the instant pot, set the sauté function, and cook another 5-10 minutes with the lid off until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Remove the chicken and set aside. Allow to cool.
- Remove chicken meat from the bone and chicken skin. Discard the skin and bones. Discard the bay leaf.
- Add the chicken meat back to the Instant Pot and serve piping hot with cooked farro or barley.