15 Mar Couscous with Carrots + Cranberries
DOWNLOAD THE RECIPE CARD HERE!
An original “The Cooking Doc” recipe… ENJOY!
½ cup minced onion
1/3 cup + 4 Tbs EVOO
2 cups whole wheat Israeli couscous
2 ¾ cups low (or no) sodium vegetable broth
4 cups carrots thickly sliced on the diagonal
½ cup dried cranberries
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
¼ cup lemon juice
1 clove of garlic minced
½ cup of chopped Italian parsley or your favorite herb
1. Preheat oven to 400º.
2. Place sliced carrots on a baking pan with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, coat the carrots with the oil and sprinkle with little salt and pepper.
3. Bake the carrots for 15-20 minutes until they are browned but not burned; and not mushy.
4. Mix the minced garlic with the sherry vinegar and lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes and then slowly whisk in the 1/3 cup EVOO. Set aside.
5. Heat a medium sized pot over high heat.
6. Add 2 tablespoons of EVOO to the pot and sauté the onions for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
7. Remove the onions from the pot, turn the temperature to high and toast the couscous for 3-5 minutes until it browns and smells toasty.
8. Add the onions back to the pot along with the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
9. When the couscous is finished cooking, lift the top and add in the carrots, cranberries and ¼ cup of the dressing. Let sit for 10 minutes.
10. Uncover the couscous and mix in the parsley. Taste and add salt, pepper and extra dressing as desired.
Serve warm or room temperature.
NOTE: If preparing ahead of time, reserve some extra dressing to add to the couscous the following day. It will need it.