15 Mar Couscous with Carrots + Cranberries
An original “The Cooking Doc” recipe… ENJOY!
Couscous with Carrots + Cranberries
- ½ cup minced onion
- 1/3 cup + 4 Tbsp EVOO
- 2 cups whole wheat Israeli couscous prepared with 2 ¾ cups low or no sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups carrots thickly sliced on the diagonal
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- Salt and pepper to taste optional
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- ½ cup of chopped Italian parsley or your favorite herb
- Preheat oven to 400º.
- Place sliced carrots on a baking pan with 2 tablespoons of EVOO, coat the carrots with the oil and sprinkle with little salt and pepper.
- Bake the carrots for 15-20 minutes until they are browned but not burned; and not mushy.
- Mix the minced garlic with the sherry vinegar and lemon juice. Let stand for 10 minutes and then slowly whisk in the 1/3 cup EVOO. Set aside.
- Heat a medium sized pot over high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of EVOO to the pot and sauté the onions for 3-5 minutes or until translucent.
- Remove the onions from the pot, turn the temperature to high and toast the couscous for 3-5 minutes until it browns and smells toasty.
- Add the onions back to the pot along with the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 8 minutes or until the water is absorbed.
- When the couscous is finished cooking, lift the top and add in the carrots, cranberries and ¼ cup of the dressing. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Uncover the couscous and mix in the parsley. Taste and add salt, pepper and extra dressing as desired.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
If preparing ahead of time, reserve some extra dressing to add to the couscous the following day. It will need it. For a lower potassium modification, omit cranberries For a lower carbohydrate and more diabetic friendly version, omit cranberries
Serving: 1.42CupsCalories: 447.63kcalCarbohydrates: 64.31gProtein: 8.52gFat: 17.25gSaturated Fat: 2.43gSodium: 131.18mgPotassium: 430.91mgFiber: 6.5gSugar: 12.9gCalcium: 63.2mgMagnesium: 40.41mgPhosphorus: 136.68mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!