01 Mar Chicken, Squash, Kale + Whole Grain Casserole
Adapted from Food Network Kitchen
This is a delicious casserole. It’s wholesome and filling and comforting. This is probably my favorite recipe on the website.
Many casseroles are filled with cream and fat. This one, on the other hand, I’ve stuffed with whole grains, fiber, fresh vegetables and love. Once you start eating dishes like this, you will never want to eat an unhealthy casserole again. #ChangeYourBuds
If you want a lower potassium version, you can use half the kale and substitute a red pepper for the yellow squashes.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Leeks (or 1/2 an onion)
1 large chicken breast, shredded (can use a rotisserie chicken – but it’s better if you make it fresh)
1 bunch of kale, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ cup no sodium chicken broth
2 large yellow squashes, diced (about 4 cups)
2 cups farro (or brown rice)
1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
1 cup low sodium or freshly made bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
¼ cup diced Italian parsley
1. Preheat the oven to 400º.
2. Cook the farro. Put 2 cups farro into a medium sauce pan and cover at least 2 inches above the farro. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10-20 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
3. Heat a large saute pan over medium heat. Once hot, cover with 2-3 tablespoons of EVOO, allow the oil to heat up, and then add the leeks and a pinch of salt. Cook the leeks for 5 minutes until soft but not browned.
4. Add the kale and cook 2 minutes until it brightens.
5. Create a hole (#PROtip) in the center of the pan and add the garlic. Cook for 30 seconds until fragrant, being careful not to burn it.
6. Add the chicken broth and cook until the broth is mostly absorbed.
7. Add the squash, another splash of EVOO and a pinch of salt and cook until all the vegetables are soft, 5-7 minutes. Let the vegetables cool.
8. Mix the vegetables, farro, parmesan cheese, shredded chicken, egg and ½ cup of bread crumbs together in a large bowl and then add the mixture to a medium sized casserole dish that has been coated with cooking spray.
9. Cover the mixture with the remainder of the bread crumbs.
10. Bake for 25-35 minutes until the mixture is browned and the cheese is melted.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 1 serving
Calories (kcal) 461.65
Protein (g) 39.13
Carbohydrates (g) 51.52
Total Dietary Fiber (g) 5.40
Total Sugars (g) 2.71
Added Sugar (g) 0
Fat (g) 12.03
Saturated Fat (g) 3.81
Cholesterol (mg) 130.74
Calcium (mg) 214.82
Magnesium (mg) 49.96
Phosphorus (mg) 321.89
Potassium (mg) 521.99 High Potassium
Sodium (mg) 400.35