01 Dec Butternut Squash Soup with White Wine + Leeks (Appearance on ABC Columbia’s Tasty Tuesday)
Butternut Squash Soup with White Wine and Leeks (APPEARANCE ON ABC COLUMBIA’S TASTY TUESDAY)
- 2 large leeks washed and sliced
- 2 tablespoons of butter olive oil or butter substitute (I use Earth Balance)
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups chopped butternut squash
- 1 quart of low sodium vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Salt pinch (optional)
- Heat Earth Balance in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add leeks, sprinkle with pepper and sauté over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft.
- Add white wine, raise heat to high, and cook until the wine is almost all evaporated.
- Before the leeks start to burn, add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes until the squash are soft but not dissolving.
- Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. (Be careful to not burn yourself with the hot mixture!)
- Return to the pot. Taste and season as needed.
- Serve hot topped with a sprinkle of parsley and a dash of the extra virgin olive oil.
For a lower potassium modification, boil butternut squash before preparing recipe
Serving: 1CupCalories: 89.1kcalCarbohydrates: 13.06gProtein: 1.1gFat: 4.09gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 72.96mgPotassium: 296.06mgSugar: 2.92gCalcium: 60.59mgMagnesium: 31.56mgPhosphorus: 32.24mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!