12 Sep Buddha Bowl with Homemade Tahini Sauce
There are two keys to this amazing recipe. First, the tahini sauce takes a little work but it is worth it. It is a variation of the variation of a recipe from Michael Solomonov.
Buddha Bowl with Homemade Tahini Sauce
- INGREDIENTS FOR TAHINI SAUCE:
- 1 whole head garlic broken into individual unpeeled cloves
- 3 lemons juiced
- 1 cup tahini paste
- Cold water
- Kosher salt
- INGREDIENTS FOR BUDDHA BOWL:
- 1 cup of your favorite whole grain I use Farro, brown rice, or wheat berries
- 1 cup shelled edamame
- 1 head of romaine lettuce split in half
- 1 head of broccoli cut into florets
- 1 cup of grape tomatoes
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh Cilantro
- DIRECTIONS FOR TAHINI SAUCE:
- Combine garlic and lemon juice in a blender and blend until it forms a pulp.
- Set garlic/lemon mixture in a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes, applying pressure to the mixture every 5 minutes with a flat surface - this will remove all the lemony/garlic flavor from the mixture. Discard the solids.
- Add tahini paste to lemon/garlic juice and whisk to form a thick mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture while whisking briskly. Then whisk in 2 more tablespoons and continue until the sauce forms a silky smooth consistency.
- DIRECTIONS FOR BUDDHA BOWL:
- Preheat the oven to 450°F
- Cook 1 cup of your favorite whole grain (I’ll use brown rice or farro)
- Put the broccoli and the grape tomatoes in a large plastic bag with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, a pinch of salt and pepper and shake well
- Spread the broccoli and tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and roast for 15-20 minutes until the tomatoes are soft and the broccoli is browned around the edges
- Place the halved romaine lettuce on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for 5 minutes until lightly browned. Cut into smaller pieces once roasted
- Add the whole grain to a bowl and top with the roasted vegetables and fresh cilantro
- Top with the tahini sauce and serve
For a lower potassium modification, use red peppers instead of tomatoes, careful portion tahini, brown rice instead of farro and green beans instead of edamame For a lower carbohydrate, diabetic friendly version, reduce grains to 3/4 cup
Serving: 1ServingCalories: 341.29kcalCarbohydrates: 48.87gProtein: 48.87gFat: 11.99gSaturated Fat: 1.81gSodium: 20.52mgPotassium: 529.73mgFiber: 6.15gSugar: 2.27gCalcium: 58.62mgMagnesium: 100.99mgPhosphorus: 317.65mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!