14 Nov Apple / Zucchini Muffins
This muffin recipe feels like the essence of fall. A little cinnamon, fresh apples from the apple orchard, and the thick, sweet flavor of molasses.
This recipe uses whole wheat pastry flour, which gives the muffins extra fiber and a little bit of a flaky texture. It would be fantastic with walnuts or a topping of fresh oats.
This recipe can also be made vegan by leaving out the egg and adding 1 tablespoon of water instead.
If you’re not careful, a muffin can be as unhealthy as a slice of cake, a donut, or a pastry. If you’ve ever compared the nutrition information for a muffin at Dunkin Donuts to one of their donuts, you know what I’m referring to. These, on the other hand, are unbelievably delicious and good for you.
Remember to stick to one muffin per serving.
Apple and Zucchini Harvest Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour or all-purpose whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup ground flax seeds
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 medium zucchini grated about 1 cup
- 1 egg
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- ½ cup shredded apple
- Preheat over to 425ºF.
- Coat muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine both flours, flax seeds, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk oil, sugar, apple cider vinegar, egg, applesauce, and molasses together in a seperate bowl until well combined. Stir in the zucchini and apples.
- Make a well (#protip) in the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients. Stir a few times to combine.
- Add batter to prepared muffin cups.
- Cook for 5 minutes at 425ºF and then reduce the temperature to 350ºF.
- Cook an additional 8-10 minutes (for a total of 13-15 minutes) until the muffins are browned on top and a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into a center muffin. Do not overcook.
- Let the muffins cool in the pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Or eat while still warm! (Which is my favorite way.)