01 Dec Apple Crumble
This recipe is quick and easy to make. It is the ideal dessert when you do not know what to prepare at the last moment.
You can swap the apples out for another fruit, such as pears. If you use a juicier fruit like blueberries, add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the fruit.
- 2 pounds apple
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar + 1 tbsp
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
- 2/3 cup butter or vegan butter for a vegan version
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Peel and cut the apples into small pieces. Place them in a large bowl and add lemon juice and a tablespoon of brown sugar. Mix and reserve for later.
- In a separate large bowl, make the crumble. Mix the rest of the brown sugar with the whole wheat flour, rolled oats, almond flour, slivered almonds, cinnamon and salt. Then add the pieces of butter and crumble everything together with your hands. The mixture won’t be all one texture. You will have bigger chunks and some powder, and that’s perfect.
- Pour the apples into a large baking dish or several small ones. Cover with the crumble.
- Place in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes until the top is golden and the juice from the fruit bubbles up.
- Remove from the oven and serve with vanilla ice cream or Greek yogurt.