02 Aug Soba Noodles with Tofu + Summer Vegetables
A great introduction to TOFU! This recipe is delicious and full of summer vegetables that brighten up any dish. Enjoy!
Need to know how to make tofu? Here is THE COOKING DOC’s quick recipe!
16 ounces extra firm tofu (8 ounces for a lower protein meal)
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup cubed yellow squash
2 cups diced zucchini (slice once lengthwise and then cut into ½ inch half moons)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp grated, fresh ginger
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 lime, juiced
1/2 cup No Sodium vegetable stock
4 oz soba noodles (Follow instructions to cook)
1 cup snow peas
2 tbsp chopped Thai Basil (If unavailable change to cilantro and sprinkle on top at the end)
½ teaspoon of Siracha Sauce (or more for a spicier dish)
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Cut tofu into 1” cubes. Lay between two paper towels and cover with plate to dry for 10 minutes, replacing towels as needed. Lay tofu on non-stick baking sheet and bake until golden brown, about 30-40 minutes. (Flip halfway during cooking to ensure even browning).
3. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, add 1 tbsp olive oil.
4. Stir in squash and zucchini, and cook for 7 – 10 minutes.
5. In a large bowl, stir together flour, vinegar, pepper, ginger, garlic, sugar, remaining 1 tbsp of olive oil, Siracha Sauce and lime juice to make sauce.
6. Add sauce and stock to vegetables and mix well.
7. Transfer tofu, uncooked snow peas and Thai basil (if available) to stir-fry and mix.
8. Follow package instructions to cook soba noodles. Add cooked noodles when vegetables are soft. Continue to stir for 5 minutes or until mixed through and warm.
9. Top with scallions (and cilantro if using) and serve!
** This recipe was adapted from the National Kidney Foundation.