01 Dec Butternut Squash Soup with White Wine + Leeks (Appearance on ABC Columbia’s Tasty Tuesday)
2 large leeks, washed and sliced
2 tablespoons of butter, olive oil or butter substitute (I use Earth Balance)
Freshly ground pepper
1/3 cup dry white wine
4 cups chopped butternut squash
1 quart of low sodium vegetable broth
2 tablespoons of fresh thyme
2 tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley
Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Heat Earth Balance in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
2. Add leeks, sprinkle with pepper and sauté over medium heat for 5-10 minutes until soft.
3. Add white wine, raise heat to high, and cook until the wine is almost all evaporated.
4. Before the leeks start to burn, add the vegetable broth, butternut squash, and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil.
5. Turn the heat down and simmer the soup for 10-15 minutes until the squash are soft but not dissolving.
6. Puree the mixture in a blender until smooth. (Be careful to not burn yourself with the hot mixture!)
7. Return to the pot. Taste and season as needed. 8. Serve hot topped with a sprinkle of parsley and a dash of the extra virgin olive oil.