21 Apr Black Bean Quesadilla
1 – 8 ounce can of low sodium black beans
1/4 teaspoon chile powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
4 whole grain tortillas
1 Jalapeño, sliced
1/4 cup Sour Cream
Juice from ½ Lime
1. Reserve ¼ cup of the water from the can of beans. Then, drain and rinse the rest of the beans.
2. Heat the beans, chile powder, and cumin over medium heat for 5-7 minutes until warm then mash with a spoon or potato masher until soft. (This can be done the night before.)
3. While the beans are cooking, mix the sour cream with the lime juice and set to side. .
4. Lay the tortillas on a work space and spread black beans over ½ of the tortilla.
5. Top the beans with 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese and fold the tortilla in half.
6. Heat 1 teaspoon of EVOO (or just spray with non-stick spray) in a non-stick skillet over medium heat.
7. Place the folded tortilla in the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until brown. Flip and cook the other side until warm.
8. Cut the tortillas into triangular thirds and top with the lime creme and your favorite toppings.
*Black beans and avocado are high potassium foods. If you are on a low potassium diet, keep your serving to 1 quesadilla and avoid the avocado.*