07 Feb Baked Apples with Sunflower Butter + Granola
2 Apples (we used Gala, but you can use your favorite)
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 cup spiced cider
1 tablespoon butter or butter substitute
2 tablespoons per whole apple of sunflower butter low added sugar (or your favorite low sugar nut butter)
1 teaspoon per whole apple of brown sugar
2 tablespoons per whole apple of a low sugar granola (we used Bear Naked)
Dash of cinnamon
Dash of nutmeg
Spoonful of Greek yogurt
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Halve and core apples (a melon baller works great).
3. Pour 1/4 cup apple cider or water, a cinnamon stick and butter or butter substitute in the bottom of a 8×8 glass baking dish.
4. Place apples in the dish.
5. Sprinkle the apples and liquid with cinnamon.
6. Mix the brown sugar, sunflower butter and granola in a bowl.
7. Spoon 1-2 Tbs of mixture into each apple.
8. Cover with a few grains of granola.
9. Sprinkle with just a touch of nutmeg.
10. Bake for 25-30 minutes uncovered; cover and cook another 10 minutes until the apples are nice and soft.
11. Serve warm with Greek yogurt.
*Low phosphorous version leave off the sunflower butter.
*Lower sugar version use water instead of spiced cider under the apples and add 1 tsp of vanilla. Also use brown sugar substitute and rolled oats instead of granola.